George Adam Smith’s 2 Volume work Jerusalem. The Topography, Economics and History From The Earliest Times to A.D. 70 is now available in PDF. Both volumes contain some superb photographs and maps dating from the early 1900s.
George Adam Smith [1848-1910], Jerusalem. The Topography, Economics and History From The Earliest Times to A.D. 70, Vol. 1. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1907. Hbk. pp.334. Visit the Download page.
George Adam Smith [1848-1910], Jerusalem. The Topography, Economics and History From The Earliest Times to A.D. 70, Vol. 2. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1907. Hbk. pp.631. Visit the Download page.
Particularly useful is the General Plan of Jerusalem which is in pouch at end of Volume 1 produced by the Palestine Exploration Fund. You will find a 600dpi version along with the files from Volume 1.
Table of Contents Volume I
The Essential City
Book I – The Topography-Sites and Names
I. The Site of the City
II. Facts and Questions in the Ancient Topography
Ill. The Geology
IV. Earthquakes, Springs and Dragons
V. The Waters of Jerusalem
The Rainfall and other Natural Conditions
The Springs-Real and Reputed
The Identification of the Springs
The Reservoirs and Aqueducts
VI. Sion, Ophel and ‘The City Of David’
- The Arguments from Topography and Archaeology
- The Biblical Evidence as to Sion
- History of the Name The ‘Ophel
- History of the Name David’s-Burgh or ‘City of David’
- The Tradition from Josephus onwards that the ‘City of David’ lay on the South-West Hill
- The Return to the East Hill
VII. The Valley of Hinnom
VIII. The Walls of Jerusalem
- The Present City Walls
- Proofs of the Ancient Walls up to Titus and their Limits
- The Historical Evidence
- The Evidence of the Excavations
- The Three North Walls
IX. The Name Jerusalem and Its History 250
X. Other Names for the City
Book II – The Economics and Politics
I. A General Statement of the Economic Problems
II. The Ethnic and Economic Origins of Jerusalem
III. The City Lands
IV. The Natural Resources of Jerusalem
V. Commerce and Imports
VI. The Royal Revenues: Estates, Tribute, Tithes, Taxation
VII. The Temple Revenues, Properties and Finance
VIII. Trades, Crafts and Industries
IX. Government and Police
- Before the Exile
- After the Return, 536-444 B.C.
- Under Nehemiah, 444-432 B.C.
- From Nehemiah to the Maccabees, 431-168 B.C.
- The Reconstitution of Israel, 168-142 B.C.
- The Hasmonean Dynasty, 142-63 B.C.
- Under the Romans from B.C. 63 onwards
X. ‘The Multitude’
General Index to Volume I.
Special Index I.-The Bible and Apocrypha
Special Index II.-Josephus
Special Index III.-Talmudic Literature
List of Abbreviations Used in the Notes
Table of Contents Volume 2
Table of the Principal Stages in the History
Book III – The History
I. The Prelude-Abd-Khiba, c. 1400 B.C.
II. The Conquest by David, c. 1000 B.C.
III. Solomon and the Temple, c. 970-933 B.C.
IV. From Rehoboam to Ahaz, c. 933-720 B.C.
- Rehoboam, c. 933-917
- Abiyah, c. 916-914
- Asa, c. 913-873
- Jehoshaphat, c. 873-850
- Jehoram and Ahaziah, c. 850-842
- Jehoram and Ahaziah, c. 850-842
- Athaliah, c. 842-836
- Joash, c. 836-798
- Amaziah, c. 797-789 or 779
- Uzziah or Azariah, c. 789 or 779-740
- Jotham, Regent from 755 or 750; King 740-735
- Ahaz, c. 735-720 (?)
V. Isaiah’s Jerusalem, from 740 Onwards
VI. Hezekiah and Sennacherib, c. 720-685
VII. Jerusalem Under Manasseh, c. 685-640
VIII. Josiah: Jerusalem and Deuteronomy, c. 638-608
IX. Jeremiah’s Jerusalem, c. 625-586
X. The Desolate City, 586-537
XI. The Ideal City and the Real
XII. The Second Temple, From Zechariah to ‘Malachi,’ 516-460
XIII. Ezra and Nehemiah, 458 (?)-431 B.C.
XIV. The Rest of the Persian Period, 431-332 B.C.
XV. The Jew and the Greek, 332-168 B.C.
- Before Alexander the Great
- Alexander and the Jews
- Wars of the Ptolemies and Seleucids for Palestine
- Jerusalem and J udah under the Greeks
- The New Jewish Diaspora
- Spiritual Intercourse of Jews and Greeks
- The Reaction against Hellenism
- The Jewish Factions and Antiochus Epiphanes
XVI. Jerusalem Under the Maccabees and the Hasmoneans, 168-38 B.C.
XVII. Herod, the Romans and Jerusalem, 37-4 B.C.
XVIII. Herod’s Castle and Temple
XIX. The Temple and the Lord
XX. Jerusalem of the Gospels
Special Index I. – The Bible and Apocrypha
Special Index II. – Josephus
Special Index III – Talmudic Literature